Who We AreThe Friends of Grant Athletics are parents, neighbors, friends,
students, alumni, athletes, teachers, athletic supporters and community
members who have a vision for the future of Grant Park.
A Northeast Portland nonprofit (501C3) organization, Friends of Grant
Athletics was formed with a mission to increase student and community
athletic participation at U.S. Grant Park and Grant High School by
creating safer, improved athletic fields.
The Friends of Grant Athletics spearheads the Grant Fields Improvement
Project, a fundraising effort to renovate Grant High School and Grant
Park community fields. Objectives for the project are to:
History The Grant Fields Improvement project began in 1999, marking the
beginning of planning, community involvement and approvals of field
improvements. In May 2010, after negotiations with the city,
school district and the local neighborhood association, Portland City
Council and the Portland Board of Education unanimously adopted a Memorandum
of Understanding (MOU), forming a partnership between the Friends of
Grant Athletics, Portland Parks & Recreation and Portland Public
Schools. The MOU authorized Friends of Grant Athletics to raise
funds to renovate the fields including three new artificial turf fields,
a resurfaced track and other park improvements.
- Provide year-round access to quality athletic facilities.
- Overcome current challenges to student and public health, safety and welfare.
- Increase support for Grant High School’s strong academic and athletic programs.
- Enhance community youth sports and neighborhood activities.
- Reduce carbon footprint in maintenance of athletic fields.
- Boost neighborhood pride and value and increase economic vitality of a sport-loving city.